- Jan is member of program and organisational committees of several international conferences including CHI, INTERACT, NordiCHI, HCI. Jan is a chairman of STIMDI (Swedish Interdisciplinary Interest Group on Human Computer
- As professor at the Department of Information Technology Jan manages a research group within the field of User Centred Systems Design, Jan is project manager of several externally funded research and development projects, Jan currently supervise 3 PhD students, another 3 has graduated under his main supervision and teach various courses in Human Computer Interaction, Usability and User-Centred Design at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
- Jan accepted his current position at Uppsala University in 1998 after 2 years as researcher at CMD (Center for Human-Computer Studies. In the period 1997-2002 Jan was a part time guest researcher at CID (Centre for user-oriented IT-design) at the KTH (Royal Institute of Technology) in Stockholm, Sweden.
- Jan is a member of ACM SIGCHI (Association for Computing Machinery, Special Interest Group on Human Computer Interaction) since 1997
- Jan has authored 18 peer-reviewed Journal publications, 10 book chapters and 40 conference papers. Jan has co-authored the Swedish textbook User-centred systems design (Användarcentrerad system design) with Bengt Göransson and he is co-editor of the Springer book Human-Centred Software Engineering.
- Jan has authored 17 peer-reviewed Journal publications, 9 book chapters and 31 conference papers. Jan has co-authored the Swedish textbook User-centered systems design (Användarcentrerad systemdesign) with Bengt Göransson and he is co-editor of the Springer book Human-Centred Software Engineering. Interaction) 2006-2007 and has been a member since 1993 – former chairman 1999-2001 and member of the board 2001-2003.
- In his spare time he enjoys acting theatre and playing music, gardening and renovating his house, travelling and be with his family.